You have to love a quote. Often they are the simple expression of a lifetime of realised potential. Here are some crackers from CEOs compiled by “TheGoodReads”.
As anyone who comes from a small, southern town knows, it is extremely easy to pick up common sayings from those around you. Someone who’s pretty full of it is “all hat, no cattle.” Your perpetually late friend is “slower than molasses in January.” Someone who has just sold a business is “living in high cotton.”
Most of these sayings come from a grandmother or crazy uncle, but they are said so much that they become ingrained in our language, mentality, and culture. Imagine if this were the case with sayings from some of the smartest people out there – the world’s top CEOs.
The following sayings might not be as full of as much character compared to some of the more colorful southern expressions, but they are great lines to shape your business practices around.
1. “Ideas are commodity. Execution of them is not.” – Michael Dell, Dell
2. “Trust your instincts.” – Estée Lauder, Estée Lauder
3. “The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing.” – Walt Disney, Disney
4. “We’re not going to invest a dollar that doesn’t make sense to invest.” – Marc Lore, Jet
5. “What do you need to start a business? Three simple things: know your product better than anyone, know your customer, and have a burning desire to succeed.” – Dave Thomas, Wendy’s
6. “Your people determine your product.” – Taso Du Val, Toptal
7. “Make your team feel respected, empowered and genuinely excited about the company’s mission.” – Tim Westergen, Pandora
8. “Don’t worry about failure; you only have to be right once.” – Drew Houston, Dropbox
9. “The common question that gets asked in business is, ‘why?’ That’s a good question, but an equally valid question is, ‘why not?’” – Jeff Bezos, Amazon
10. “Be simple and reliable” – Jan Koum, WhatsApp
“Always deliver more than expected.” – Larry Page, Google
12. “Make something that meshes into your daily life.” – Eric Migicovsky, Pebble
13. “There’s an entrepreneur right now, scared to death, making excuses, saying, ‘It’s not the right time just yet.’ There’s no such thing as a good time.” – Kevin Plank, Under Armour
14. “I always did something I was a little not ready to do. I think that’s how you grow. When there’s that moment of ‘Wow, I’m not really sure I can do this,’ and you push through those moments, that’s when you have a breakthrough.” – Marissa Mayer, Yahoo
15. “You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing and falling over.” – Richard Branson,Virgin Group
16. “If you’re not a risk taker, you should get the hell out of business.” – Ray Kroc, McDonald’s
17. “Chase the vision, not the money; the money will end up following you.” – Tony Hsieh, Zappos
18. “Capital isn’t scarce. Vision is.” – Sam Walton, Wal-Mart
19. “Life is too short to do mediocre work and it is definitely too short to build shitty things.” – Stewart Butterfield, Slack
20. “In this ever-changing society, the most powerful and enduring brands are built from the heart. They are real and sustainable. Their foundations are stronger because they are built with the strength of the human spirit, not an ad campaign. The companies that are lasting are those that are authentic.” – Howard Schultz,Starbucks