It’s lonely at the top, or at least it used to be. Traditional leadership models were built on hierarchies and managing from the top down. Today we’ve evolved to collaborative leadership models, which has moved customary CEO roles from the one to the many. Compiled originally for Inc.com by Marla Tabaka
The model at Virgin exemplifies this welcome transition. “The fundamental driver of our success at Virgin has, and will always be, our people working together,” says Richard Branson. “To be successful in business, and in life, you need to connect and collaborate.”
Branson has many things to say about the importance of collaborative efforts, not only internally, but from company to company as well. On a recent blog, the Virgin mogul cited the following as the quotes on collaboration that inspire him the most.
- “No matter how brilliant your mind or strategy, if you’re playing a solo game, you’ll always lose out to a team.” – Reid Hoffman
- “Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
- “It takes two flints to make a fire.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “Individual commitment to a group effort – that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilisation work.” – Vince Lombardi
- “The lightning spark of thought generated in the solitary mind awakens its likeness in another mind.” – Thomas Carlyle
- “No matter what accomplishments you make, somebody helped you.” – Althea Gibson
- “No one can whistle a symphony. It takes a whole orchestra to play it.” – H.E. Luccock
- “If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton
- “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” – Henry Ford
- “Collaboration has no hierarchy. The Sun collaborates with soil to bring flowers on the earth.” – Amit Ray
Are you ready to share the responsibility for your company’s success? Apparently, the collaborative model works quite well!
CREDIT Getty Images